Author Topic: Ohio newbie with a question!  (Read 2114 times)

dreamando

• View Profile
Ohio newbie with a question!
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Taylor and I am just starting off with oils - I'm so new I haven't even bought a kit (yet). With the help of my own research and of course any suggestions any of you are willing to give, I will hopefully be purchasing one soon!

Since I'm not very familiar with different EO brands, I have a question about one in particular. Both my mom and I are very optimistic about the potential of oils, but not so sure about an experience we had with a PlantLife Brand oil blend. I'm not sure if it could be user error - would it be possible to use 'too much' of an oil? Only because our skin is so very absorbent and the contents of a blend could be potent? Or perhaps different people have different reactions to oils/blends? The reason I ask is because we found PlantLife's 'Calm' Blend to be rather the opposite of Calm. I felt as though my face was stinging when I rubbed it onto my temples. My post-surgery mom after using the blend claimed her heart was pounding!

If anyone could shed some light on our experience, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's experiences and to be able to share some of my own. :)

beckyelfert

Re: Ohio newbie with a question!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
Hi Taylor

Did you use a carrier oil with the blend? I'm not familiar with what's in PT's  Calm, does it say on the label what oils make up the blend? Could you post that?

Becky

dreamando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »

Hi Becky

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by carrier blend, but it contains: Lavender, Bergamot, Palmarosa, Patchouli, and Lemon

Here is it listed on their website..
https://www.plantlife.net/eo-blends/730-calm.html

beckyelfert

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
Ah,  Bergamot! That will give you a nice stinging feeling unless you dilute it with a carrier oil. A carrier oil is a non essential oil that you mix with the EO to make the EO less concentrated. Some examples are sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, or my favorite coconut oil.

Try the Calm again, but this time diluted with the carrier oil. When I rub oils on my feet it's 15 drops of the carrier oil to 1 or 2  drops of the EO. You don't need much of the EO to get the job done.  :)

You could also try diffusing the EO. That's my favorite way to use them. That way everyone gets to enjoy them.

On a side note: After applying this blend to the skin I would also stay out of the sun for at least 12 hours - Bergamot up to 72 hours. Both Bergamot and Lemon are photosensitive meaning they may cause a rash, pigmentation or even severe burns when exposed to UV rays. This isn't meant to scare you from using them, just to use some caution and common sense.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your oily journey!

dreamando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »
That makes sense; Thank you so much!

beckyelfert

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
I'm glad I could help.  :)